|Improve the Quality and safety of fish products |
Quality control process of export
oriented fish products are enforced by the Department of Fisheries
and Aquatic Resources (DFAR) which is under the MFARD to comply the
international quality requirements.
The main functions include:
- Registration of fish processing establishments
- Issuing health certificates for fish exports to European countries (EU) as well as non European countries
- Chemical tests to ensure quality control of fish products
- Inspection of samples for laboratory testing
- Inspection of aquaculture farms, fishing vessels, fish processing establishments & fishery harbours
Minimization of post harvest losses
In order to minimize post
harvest losses of fish and other aquatic products, related research activities
are conducted through the NARA which is the research arm of the Ministry.
- Introduction of new fish and
fishery products processing technologies.
- Offering laboratory and
consultancy services on microbiological assessment, chemical analysis, heavy
metals, food preservation, processing and quality control
- Investigation of post harvest
losses and measures to minimize the post harvest losses
- Introduction of improved hygienic
processing techniques for traditional fish products
- Conducting awareness and technology transfer programmes on
minimizing post harvest losses.